I have a serious love for all-things-nautical — ironic considering a couple minutes on a boat leaves me green-faced and seasick! But that doesn’t mean I can’t dress like a sailor and enjoy the water from the safety of a pier. Nautical-inspired clothes and accessories are a staple in my summer wardrobe. I love navy, red and white, and I think anchors, sailboats and sea creatures make the best accessories. Perfect for a Fourth of July party, a day at the lake, or just time out in the sun, nautical-inspired pieces are easy to incorporate into your wardrobe.
I picked out a few of my favorite nautical pieces for summer 2011.
- Silk scarf, $18.95 from Affordable Scarves — This nautical silk scarf has shades of blue and gold with chains and ship wheels. It’s square, so it’s perfect for use as a head scarf or neck scarf — or knot it on the handle of a red handbag!
- Nautical striped shoulder bag, $43.95 from Handbag Heaven — With stripes, chains, and pretty red details, this shoulder bag is meant to be worn on the boardwalk.
- Sailboat pendant, $14.99 from Modcloth — A sailboat necklace can add a small touch of nautical to any outfit.
- Sperry wedges — If I could live in my Sperry boat shoes, I would. But there are some occasions that call for something a little fancier. Luckily, Sperry makes super adorable dress shoes!
- Red, white, and blue sundress, $72.00 from Topshop — This precious striped dress is perfect for a summer party. Plus, who doesn’t love a dress with pockets?
- Rope rings, $68.00 from Coach — These stackable, nautical rope rings are the prettiest gold and seafoam green.
- Anchor and bow tank top, $37.99 from Modcloth — The anchor and star print of this tank top make it the ultimate nautical top. I think the bows on the front are darling as well!
Author bio: Sarah Beckman is a content developer at Affordable Style where she blogs about celebrity style and fashion accessories. Although she’s from landlocked Indiana, she loves to spend summer days at the lake with her family and fiance.