It?s every car owner?s worst nightmare?returning to where you parked your car to find it gone, without a trace of who stole it or where they went. While there are many other factors that contribute to which cars are stolen, including location, time of day, weather, and more, some cars are stolen much more frequently than others. You don?t have to completely avoid buying the cars on this list, but be prepared to be extra vigilant in your car security if you do.
- Honda Accord. With nearly 52,000 reported thefts in 2014, the Honda Accord is the most commonly stolen car. This can partly be due to the fact that the Accord is also one of the most popular cars on the road. The Accord has been the most commonly stolen vehicle for multiple years running. The most frequently stolen model years were 1996, 1997, and 1994.
- Honda Civic. Another very popular car, nearly 44,000 Civics were stolen in 2014. The most common model years were 1998, 1997, and 2000.
- Ford F-Series pickup. The ubiquitous pickup truck was stolen more than 28,000 times in 2014. The most frequently stolen model years were 2006, 2005, and 2004.
- Chevrolet full-size pickup. Chevy sells this car under different names depending on the year. The most common model years were 1999, 2003, and 2004.
- Toyota Camry. Of all of the more than 14,000 Camrys stolen in 2014, almost all of them were from the model year 1991.
- Dodge Ram full-size pickup. This large truck was stolen 11,000 times in 2014. The most common years were 2004, 2001, and 2005.
- Dodge Caravan. The popular minivan was most frequently stolen from model years 2000, 2002, and 2003.
- Nissan Altima. This is the newest car on the list, with almost all of the 9,100 stolen Altimas coming from model year 2013.
- Acura Integra. Model years 1994 and 1995 are the most commonly stolen varieties.
- Nissan Maxima. Of the 6,500 stolen Maximas in 2014, almost all of them were from model year 1996.
This post is in partnership with FletcherChrysler.com