Many people use being ?on the go? as a reason to eat unhealthy food. There?s a reason why fast food drive thru lanes are so popular?it?s a quick, easy way to get food when you?re on the road. However, just because you may be in the car for a long time doesn?t mean you can?t eat healthy food. Follow these five tips to enjoy tasty and healthy food on the go.
- Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated flushes toxins from your body and helps you feel fuller without eating more calories. Always have a large water bottle with you in the car and pack a few extras in the back just in case.
- Stop smart. You may be tempted to pull over to the fast food place and grab a quick hamburger, but the better choice is to set yourself up for success by choosing a healthy alternative, such as a sandwich or salad shop. Even better, run into the grocery store to grab fresh produce and other healthy items.
- Plan ahead. Instead of getting caught empty handed on a busy day and stopping for an unhealthy snack, plan ahead and stock your car with healthy items, like protein bars, beef jerky, trail mix, and fresh fruit and vegetables. This is especially important if you know you have a busy day ahead?surrounding yourself with healthy options makes good choices much easier.
- Use a cooler. Many people avoid packing healthy food items in the car because they feel those items will spoil. Invest in a small cooler to keep under your center console to store perishable items, which are often the healthiest. Don?t forget to clean out your cooler on a regular basis.
- Get lots of protein. Instead of reaching for sugary and fattening items, go for the protein, which enhances concentration and energy. Easy protein on the go includes nut butter packets, string cheese, or a hard-boiled egg.