Summertime means it’s time to hit the road for an adventure. Road trips are a quintessential summer activity, and although part of the fun is filling up the gas tank and driving off without a care, the perfect road trip requires a little more planning. Here are five steps to planning the perfect road trip:
1. Map your route. Start by breaking out a map to look at where you would like to go. Consider who is coming with you and how much time you have. For example, a road trip with friends probably has different requirements than a family-friendly trip. Try to balance the time you’ll spend driving with the time you’ll want at your final destination and look for a route that is interesting and scenic.
2. Schedule stops. Although most of the magic happens in the car, road trips also require fun stops. Plan ahead with tools like Roadtrippers.com to find fun or quirky stops along the way. Try to mix it up with something for everyone—a quick hike for an outdoorsy friend, a beautiful downtown area for an urban dweller, and a unique store for the deal finder.
3. Pack the essentials. Be sure to pack enough clothes for your trip, plus things like deodorant, a pillow, and a map or GPS. Also be sure to pack an emergency supply kit for your car, just in case something breaks or you find yourself stranded in the middle of nowhere.
4. Bring entertainment. While some road trips are exciting, others can be dull and torturous. Plan ahead and bring along a variety of entertainment to fight the boredom, such as movies, games, books on tape, and topics for conversation.
5. Enjoy the ride. After all the planning is done, don’t forget to relax and enjoy your trip. Road trips are a great opportunity to see new places and make new memories, so plan ahead and enjoy the ride.