Car batteries power the car’s operation, start-up, dashboard lights, radio, computer and much more. They are the electrical source of your car. Most people wait for the car battery to die out as they don’t bother with its maintenance. They end up paying $100 – $200 to get the battery replaced. With the right maintenance car batteries last 2 – 5 years. Read on to find 5 simple car maintenance tips for your car battery.
5 tips for maintaining your car battery
- Insulated Garage – Store the car in an insulated garage when not in use. The insulation will keep the battery warm in the winter. This will make it last longer. Avoid using a heated garage. This will cause the car to rust.
- Clean the Battery – If there is a lot of residue or dirt on the battery, it will be hard to charge the battery. It is advisable to clean the battery at regular intervals so that grease, oxidation, and corrosion can be removed from the battery. Before you start the cleaning process, you should take care to remove the clamps.
- Use Distilled Water – With time, gases tend to build up inside the car battery. Adding distilled water to the battery will reduce the build-up of gas. This will also ensure a long life for the battery.
- Recharge Battery – Bring a dead battery to life and preserve its lifespan by recharging it. Recharge it if you see signs of low power. Solar battery rechargers can also be used to charge the car battery.
- Secure the Battery – If the battery is not properly secured in the battery tray it will not function properly. The battery will move around a lot and may also fall down if it is not secured. The battery would bang into the engine and this can result in a lot of problems. Always ensure that the battery is properly secured.