With two toddlers in tow, I am always looking for fun projects that are easy on the budget, promote creativity, and fun. We had just recently made homemade molding dough, and both of my kiddos loved it, so I was excited to try Moon Dough when I heard about it. We received the Moon Dough Barn to review.
About Moon Dough (courtesy of http://www.moondough.com/…)
- Moon Dough is an out-of-this-world new molding dough that never dries out!Hypo-allergenic and wheat-free, soft and marshmallow-like, Moon Dough does not stick to or stain material. Because Moon Dough never dries out, kids can use it again and again. Moon Dough is the latest and greatest new molding compound for kids ages 2-4 to sculpt into fun creations they will love to play with. The line also offers a variety of enjoyable play sets.
- The Moon Dough Barn Play Set includes…
- Molding Barn (assembly required) which molds different animals (pig, sheep, horse, cow, chicken)
- Fence Mold
- Hay Bale Mold
- Play Mat
- 3 packs of Moon Dough (yellow, blue, and white)
When my son saw the box, he immediately wanted to play with the barn. So, after cleaning the table, I took it out to assemble. The barn pieces snapped together really easily, and soon enough, we were ready to start baling hay. I removed the yellow Moon Dough from the cellophane pack that it came in and squished it together as the directions instructed. I did the same with the blue Moon Dough. I demonstrated to my 34 month old how to use the hay mold and fence mold. Then we stuffed dough into the top of the barn and began making animals. Soon enough, we had a pasture full of animals.
Mister had to have help cranking out the animals, as he wanted to keep cranking the handle in one direction. I found that in order to get an animal to come out, I had to push the crank forward, then pull it back, then push it forward again. The excess dough is skimmed off the top and is supposed to fall into the silo on the side. But our silo kept falling off, so the dough had no place to go. My son thought he should be able to just push it in a circle to make the animals pop out. When making animals with the barn mold, I also found that I had to be sure to compress the dough with my fingers to fill the mold, less we end up with a headless chicken. Since the silo wouldn’t stay on, my son thought it would be interesting to stuff it full of Moon Dough.
While the Moon Dough is guaranteed to never dry out, it does crumble as you can see in the picture above. To pick up the crumbs, we made a ball of dough and dotted the crumbs with the ball. While this worked, I found blue and yellow flecks of dough for a couple of days after this play session. Since the Moon Dough came in cello bags in the kit, I had to find storage containers for it when play time was over.
Both my son and daughter really enjoyed playing with the Moon Dough Barn, and my son asks to play with it nearly everyday.
- The kids love it and it provides hours of entertainment
- It is guaranteed to never dry out
- Molds are very detailed
- It is hypoallergenic
- The barn assembles easily
- It crumbles which makes it messy
- Does not come with storage containers
- After a while, dough starts sticking to the barn molds and slide (It is recommended to clean the molds with a dry brush-which is NOT included)
- Our silo wouldn’t stay on
- The play mat is not very big
Because the Moon Dough can get messy (what toddler activity doesn’t, though, right?) we only use it on days when we have plenty of time for play and clean up.
Moon Dough is available at local retailers and on Amazon.com
WIN IT!!! (MANDATORY ENTRY)
– Visit Moon Dough and tell me another product you would like to have.
- Subscribe to Cocktails With Mom via email or RSS feed
- Follow me on Google Friend Connect (on the right sidebar)
- Like Cocktails With Mom on Facebook
- Like Moon Dough on Twitter
- Blog about this giveaway then leave me the link! ( 5 entries)
- Add our text link or button to your blogroll (5 entries)
- Add my Holiday Gift Guide Button to your sidebar (5 entries)
- Follow Cocktails With Mom and Moon Dough on Twitter and Tweet about this giveaway! ( once Daily)
I just entered for a chance to win a Moon Dough Playset at Cocktails with Mom @momcocktails http://bit.ly/9Vo0sU
You MUST leave your email address in one of the comments or have it in your profile so I can get in touch with you.
Contest ends, October 29 at 11:59pm CST. Winner will be chosen via Random.org. Winner has 48 hours to respond to my notification email, or a new winner will be chosen. Open to US.
I did not receive any compensation for hosting this giveaway: however A moon Dough Playset was provided for me to fullfill this review.