Summer is a busy time of year for many individuals and families setting out on road trips of all kinds. Be sure to check out all our guides and tips including how you pack your car, what to bring in your roadside emergency kit, and where kids and pets should sit. All these valuable tools can help you reach your destination safely.
If you have a trip coming up soon, the following driving tips can help you prepare for a smooth ride. Always remember to drive safely.
- Buckle up, slow down, don’t drive impaired.
- Be well rested and alert.
- Use caution in work zones.
- Give your full attention to the road. Avoid distractions such as cell phones.
- Observe speed limits – driving too fast or too slow can increase your chance of being in a collision.
- Make frequent stops. During long trips, rotate drivers. If you’re too tired to drive, stop and get some rest.
- Be respectful of other motorists and follow the rules of the road.
- Don’t follow another vehicle too closely.
- If you plan on drinking, designate a driver who won’t drink.
- Clean your headlights, taillights, signal lights and windows to help you see, especially at night.
- Turn your headlights on as dusk approaches, or if you are using your windshield wipers due to inclement weather.
- Don’t overdrive your headlights.
- If you have car trouble, pull off the road as far as possible.