Berry-Yogurt Popsicles

Popsicles are typically just flavored sugar water, however, they don’t have to be. It’s possible to make something simple, nutritious and just as refreshing and satisfying as the original.  I have these on hand most of the summer, using a variety of berries as they come in season. In this recipe I used raspberries and blackberries, but feel free to use just one type of berry or many types of berries, if you’d prefer.

If you have simple syrup on hand {I typically have it for tea, lemonade, coffee, etc} you can use 1/2 cup of what you’ve got and skip the first step.    If you make your own yogurt, you can strain it in a cheesecloth for a few hours or overnight to get a Greek-style of yogurt {use the leftover whey when making bread!}.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup water

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon lemon juice

1 1/2 cups plain, unsweetened, Greek-style yogurt

2 Tablespoons honey

2 cups berries, washed & dried, cut if too big to fit in Popsicle mold

To make:

1. Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil.  Stir to ensure all sugar is dissolved.  Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature before proceeding to step 2.

2. In a large bowl {or you can use a blender}, whisk together the lemon juice, yogurt and honey.  Whisk in the simple syrup made in step 1.

3. Fill the Popsicle molds about halfway full with the yogurt mixture.  Take half of the berries and begin pushing them into the yogurt mixture {if you’re using blueberries only, they may sink to the bottom of the mold so put the half-filled Popsicle mold in the freezer for about a half hour first so it begins to set}.

4. Fill the Popsicle molds again to about the 3/4 mark.  Insert more berries and the Popsicle sticks.  If needed, top off the molds with any remaining yogurt mixture.

5. Freeze at least 3 hours prior to serving.

Makes 8-10 Popsicles {depends on the size of your mold}

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

1. Ooh, those look so good- and so refreshing!

2. yummmmy! Those will definitely cool you down on a hot day.

3. Susan says:

Yum! The perfect summer treat. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday.

4. Sarah says:

Oh…I made a simple syrup last week for a cherry limeade recipe…this would be great for the left overs! Pinning! Thanks.

5. YUM! I’ve been looking for fun popsicle recipes, so thank you! :)

6. Those look delicious.

7. Anne says:

These look refreshing!

8. I love how you used yogurt!

9. Katie says:

I sell Tupperware and I have a few sets of molds – I am always looking for new creative popsicles to make. Thanks for the recipe!

10. These look so delicious!

11. Sheri says:

They look fantastic!

12. What a great idea. These look awesome!

13. Kait says:

These look really yummy — I will definitely have to try these!!

14. These sound delicious – the perfect summer treat!

15. These look healthy and refreshing! I’m keeping this recipe. Thank you for sharing it.

16. rebecca orr says:

What a great healthy cold treat. My kids would gobble these fast….if I don’t first!

17. Julie Wood says:

These Berry Yogurt Popsicles look so delicious and fun to make. These would be great to eat to cool down when it is so hot outside. Thanks for the recipe!

18. I do have some popsicle molds that I’ve never used … yet. That will no longer be the case. This Berry Yogurt Popsicle recipe looks delicious and would be perfect to get the help from my niece. I think she would also love to be the Taste Tester. Thanks for the recipe.

19. Elisabeth says:

We are all about berries right now, so these are perfect!