Southern Style Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

Slow Cooker BBQ Sandwich
I don’t know about where y’all live, but it has been so hot and humid around D.C. lately. On days with temperatures above 90 degrees and air thick as water, I hardly want to eat, much less turn on the oven. My slow cooker and making salads or cold meals are a life saver on scorching spring and summer days.

For my first recipe on Cocktails with Mom, I thought it was only appropriate to share a tried and true recipe from North Carolina, which is where I was born and raised. We sure love our BBQ in the South. Depending on which southern state you visit, you can get all different sorts of BBQ. In NC, we prefer vinegar based BBQ sauce, which is what I used in this Southern Style Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich recipe. Just because you don’t turn on your oven doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavor.¬†Although this BBQ chicken is made in a slow cooker, it is just as tender, flavorful, and juicy as the BBQ pork or chicken that is cooked low and slow on the grill.

If you are experiencing scorching hot days, give your oven a break and grab your slow cooker. These sandwiches are a cinch to make and will keep your kitchen cool and family happy.

Southern Style Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders

seasoning salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder to taste

1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped

1 16-oz. jar of your favorite BBQ sauce

1/4-1/2 cup cornstarch

6 hamburger buns

2 cups coleslaw

Season your chicken breasts with seasoning salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Lay the chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker; top with chopped onion. Pour the BBQ sauce on top of the chicken and onion. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.

One hour before the chicken is done cooking, add the cornstarch to the slow cooker. (If you want a thicker sauce, add 1/2 cup of cornstarch.) Stir the cornstarch into the BBQ sauce; return the lid and cook for another hour.

Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place in a large bowl. Shred the chicken with two forks. (The chicken will be extremely tender, so it will almost fall apart itself.) Toast the hamburger buns. Place some of the BBQ chicken on a toasted bun and top with coleslaw. Enjoy!

Serves 6.

southern style bbq sandwhich

Comments

1. That sounds amazing. I love slowcooker BBQ

• Elaine says:

It’s one of my favorite go to recipes. Sooo easy and super delicious!

2. Beeb says:

That looks absolutely delicious. Will you make one for me? LOL!

• Elaine says:

Absolutely! Let me know when you’re in the DC area and I’ll be sure to have a freshly made sandwich with your name on it!

3. Dee says:

This looks fantastic! I just moved away from South Carolina and I do miss my southern food…even if it was mainly me cooking it! Hard to do a lot in the RV… Anyway, I may just have to make it this week. Thanks for the recipe!

• Elaine says:

You can take this recipe anywhere! Bringing the South to you one BBQ chicken sandwich recipe at a time. :) Let me know how you like it!

4. Oh my gosh thank you for putting coleslaw on it! I saw that somewhere once and the next time I had a bbq sandwich and asked for it with it on the sandwich I was given the funniest looks.

5. Looks very tasty!

6. My slow cooker is a LIFE SAVER in the summer!

I usually just make chicken salad with mine, though!

7. I love BBQ sauce on just about everything. Due to the sugar content, I consider it a ‘treat’ to be eaten on special occasions. Honestly, I could live off BBQ chicken and slaw.

8. Livivua Chandler says:

Thankyou…a busy mom and I love slow cooker recipes!

9. Yummy! It’s supposed to be around 90 here every day for the next week, so I should totally try this!

10. Katie says:

looks amazing! I make pulled pork in the crock pot quite frequently.

11. shelly peterson says:

I love slow cooker recipes, this looks super yummy! I have always wanted to try coleslaw a bbq sandwich.

12. Nicole Dziedzic says:

Great recipe that everyone in the family will rave about. Great summer recipe! The coleslaw on this just brings it together.

13. Julie Wood says:

This is a good Memorial Day dish to make, and I have make BBQ Chicken sandwiches many times, and they are so good. I am going to make your recipe.

14. Laura J says:

Oh that looks really good! I have not put the coleslaw on them before, but that would taste amazing! I am going to have to try these at home! Interesting with the cornstarch to thicken! I am pinning so I can make for dinner next week!

15. Janet W. says:

Now this is my kind of meal! Looks delicious! BBQ chicken is one of my favorites!

16. Amy Orvin says:

It’s too hot here, too. I live in South Carolina and it is so muggy and humid that no one wants to cook in my house. I hear ya!

I’d love to try this recipe. It looks so yummy!!