One of my husband’s favorite cocktails is the Old Fashioned. Admittedly, whiskey isn’t my favorite liquor, but we’ve come up with an Old Fashioned recipe that both he and I enjoy. It’s a refreshing and tasty drink that’s neither too sweet nor too strong.
- 1 tsp. bar syrup (We make our own. It’s simply a ratio of 1:1 sugar and water. Just bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continuously, and let it cool. We usually make one cup sugar and one cup water.)
- 1 maraschino cherry
- 2 orange slices
- Soda water
- 1 ounce whiskey
- In the bottom of an old fashioned glass, muddle together the bar syrup, cherry, 1 orange slice, and a splash of soda water.
- Remove the orange rind.
- Add whiskey and stir. (I stick with one ounce for my drink, but sometimes my husband goes for 1.5 ounces for a stiffer drink.)
- Add ice and fill cup rest of way with soda water. Stir.
- Add the second orange slice as garnish.
Voila! This classic cocktail is perfect for any holiday party or just an evening at home.