What’s In Season For October?

october foods

When it comes to better quality, better tasting produce, it is usually better to buy them in season and local seasonal foods would be your best bet.  They are tastier, fresher and more nutritious.  But don’t let that discourage you if you do not have access to a local market.  You can enjoy the taste of any fruit or vegetable year-round.  Fresh, frozen, canned, dried, and 100% juice –  they all count!.

Here is a list of fruits and vegetables that are in season for October:

• Apples
• Shallots
• Star fruit
• Sweet Potatoes
• Turnips
• Watercress
• Winter squash

Be sure to check out what’s in season for November.

Comments

1. Apples and blackberries — my favorites ;)

2. My kids are apple feigns and I’m ready for squash soup!

3. Love my seasonal produce! :)

4. Brandi @ Flip Flop Mama says:

Thanks! I always like to buy in season stuff it tastes a whole lot better and usually cheaper as well :)

5. Mya Maternity says:

I love apples and grapes. Love this time of year.

6. Lyn H says:

I’m probably one of the few people who loves brussel sprouts! Have also found these cranberry & orange muffins in the bakery that are delicious. Fabulous flavor combination!

7. Thanks! I always try to buy in-season produce, but I don’t know the seasons for everything. This is a very helpful list.

8. Anne says:

I love apples and squash in the fall.

9. Laurie says:

We have been making alot of stuff with apples, I am already missing Summer though and all the pretty looking fruits.

10. I LOVE LOVE LOVE sweet potato! Figs are awesome too. Thanks for sharing the list!

11. Dee says:

I love the pears this time of year. So sweet and juicy. Of course apples cooking on the stove for pie filling and applesauce is always a wonderful fall aroma.

12. We need to go to the u-pick farm!

13. I love the picture!

14. I love almost everything on that list- and those are the cutest apples I ever saw.

15. ashley says:

Looks so delicious..So sweet and juicy.I am already missing Summer though and all the pretty looking fruits.Love the picture..Thanks a lot for sharing it!

16. Megan says:

I’ve been waiting on grapes!

17. Louise says:

You put together an excellent list. MMMMM I love grapes

18. I didn’t know there was still such a bounty at this time of year. Thank you!

19. I love this season! there are so many fruits to be bought and eat. What I love are apples, grapes, and blackberries.

20. Great list. I love berries (any) and the kids love apples and grapes. Yum.

21. honey crisp apples are my favorite

22. Very helpful post! I tend to forget what is in season and this is a wonderful list! Thanks for sharing!

23. this is great! I always seem to crave stuff out of season

24. Dawn C says:

Great list! I love apples. We are going to the orchard this weekend to grab apples off the trees and pick some pumpkins.

25. I love this post! We always try to eat seasonally, but it’s so easy to get out of touch with what’s really seasonal when you go to the supermarket and pretty much all fruits and veggies are available all year round. But by eating in season, you can eat locally, which is so important.

26. Thanks for sharing this! I never remember what comes in season or when.

27. Sara says:

I’m surprised so much is still in season!

28. Kelly says:

This is so great to know so I can try eating in season.

29. Sheri says:

Apples, beets and oranges. Those are my faves

30. Sheri says:

Apples, beets and oranges. Those are my faves

31. Kathy says:

I love fall produce!

32. I realized when I read that list that I am SO lucky to have access to most of those fruits and veggies year round because I live in Florida…

33. Jenny says:

Apples and Pears are a staple in this house!

34. Bring on the apples!
    Kas

35. We’ve been going through LOTS of grapes and apples lately since their prices have finally come down. Love seasonal prices!

36. This is so helpful. Thanks for sharing!

37. Thanks for the info! I didn’t realize blackberries were a fall fruit.

38. Maggie says:

Thanks for this list! I’m working on starting to freeze fruits and veg that are in season to get ready for the winter so this list is a great help!

39. Great list! I love cabbage and brussel sprouts myself.